Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Banana nana fo fana...

So, I'm sure you've seen the "banana ice cream" making it's rounds on the internet. The deal is, you're supposed to be able to freeze VERY ripe bananas and blend them up and they taste just like ice cream. Too good to be true, right? Well, yes...and no.

Personally, I tried just blending (food processing) the bananas and they tasted like frozen bananas. Icy, sweet, and yummy, but not ice cream. So, I took my good friend Dexter's advice (hi, Dex, do you read my blog?) and added a fat. I added a heaping tablespoon of all natural peanut butter and about 1/4 cup of plain almond milk to my 3 frozen bananas and guess what? It tasted JUST LIKE peanut butter/banana ice cream.

Oh my land, y'all, it was amazing! Mike and Olivia LOVED it (Phil and Matt were asleep, you snooze, you lose around here). We couldn't stop talking about it. We were telling strangers about it.

My friend Shelley (hi, Shelley) suggested adding frozen strawberries, almond milk, and vanilla to frozen bananas, so that's what we did tonight. YUMMO! It was more like a sorbet than an ice cream, without a "fat" to bind it together like the peanut butter did, but still, amazing! Next time, I might add a teaspoon of coconut oil and see what happens.

Anyway, you may not be able to have your cake and eat it too, but you can have your (faux) ice cream and be healthy! Enjoy y'all!!

Faux Ice Cream

Base: Frozen bananas (one per person)
Almond Milk (I suppose you could use soy or even cow's milk, I can only testify to almond)

Add Ins:
Peanut Butter
Frozen fruit
Vanilla
Chocolate chips
Really anything

Slice, then freeze, the bananas (this is important, frozen whole bananas are a booger to slice). Place banana slices in a food processor with the blade attachment on (you can use a blender according to Pinterest, but I was afraid I would blow up the motor). Pulse the frozen bananas until you get tiny little icy pieces. Add your almond milk a little at a time while mixing. Then, add your additional add ins and pulse until the consistencey of soft serve. Place back in the freezer for about 15 minutes to firm up. Scoop with an ice cream scoop and be amazed!

See, looks just like ice cream!

1 comment:

  1. Great idea adding in a fat to make it more ice creamy and not just icey. Will be trying this!

    ReplyDelete