Saturday, July 28, 2012

Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad

Previously, I referred to myself as a "foodie". This next statement is going to make you doubt that. Okay, here it is: I really like the Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad from McDonald's. I mean, I don't crave it or anything, but if I HAVE to eat at McDonald's, that's what I'm ordering.

 Photo courtesy of McDonald's

However, there are several drawbacks to the McDonald's salad.
First of all, it costs almost $7. That's just silly.
Second, it's full of chemically treated everything. I mean, for fast food, it's healthy. But, it's not really that healthy.
Third, it's hit or miss whether it will be fresh or old, wilted lettuce. Lettuce quality is important to me.
Fourth, though low in fat and calories compared to a Big Mac and fries, it still has 430 calories and 20 grams of fat! My homemade version comes in less than 200 calories (with dressing) and 6 grams of fat. Much better!

So, I created a very simple, very yummy copy cat version. It has more ingredients than the McDonald's version, but it's also 100 times better! We have it on a regular basis at our house and it's a hit!

Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad

2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 head of Romaine lettuce
1 carrot
1 red onion (you may not use all of it, depends on how much you like red onion)
1 avocado (sometime I use two, depending on their size. We LOVE avocado, it a SUPERFOOD!)
1 cup cooked corn (can use canned, frozen, or fresh, just make sure it's cooked and cooled)
1 cup beans (I've used black beans, kidney beans, and pinto beans, they're all good)
1 red bell pepper
1 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Garlic Salt
1 tsp. Chipotle Seasoning (optional, can omit if you don't like the taste)
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper

Optional: (I don't add these because I'm trying to lose weight, but they are yummy)

Tortilla chips or strips
Shredded Cheese


First, mix your spices together to create a dry rub. Sprinkle on both sides of each chicken breast and rub in. Then, grill or saute your chicken breasts. You can cook them whole, then cut them up, or vice versa. I prefer to cook mine whole and then slice them after they've cooled. It seems like they retain their moisture better that way. After the juices run clear and there is no pink in the middle, set them to the side to cool.

Wash and rip your lettuce into bite size pieces. I always rip my lettuce instead of cutting it. I read somewhere a long time ago that the metal from the knife makes the edges of the lettuce turn brown more quickly. I don't know if that's true, but ripping and tearing it has always worked for me. I rip, the wash, then salad spin. You do what you feel comfortable with. The end result should be a big bowl of bite size lettuce pieces.

Shred your carrot, deseed and dice your bell pepper, peel and slice (or dice) your avocado, cut your red onion in the very thin, bite size pieces. Add all of these ingredients to the salad. Rinse and drain your corn and beans (if using canned). I also send them through the salad spinner, so they don't make the salad soggy. If you don't have a salad spinner, just make sure all the extra moisture is drained out before you add then to the salad. Add those to the salad.

Dice your chicken into bite size pieces, not strips. I don't know why people put strips of chicken on a salad. It's so much easier to dice the chicken before you add it than to try and cut chicken sitting atop slippery lettuce. Anyway, add the chicken and then give it all a good toss. If you are adding any of the "good stuff" (tortilla strips, cheese), wait and garnish each individual salad with those. That way, the tortilla strips don't get soggy.

Place salad in big ol' bowls and dress with the dressing of your choice. I love my creamy dressing that I posted yesterday with the salad. However, a salsa ranch or even a regular ranch would also be good. If you are watching your weight, mix fat free Greek yogurt with dry ranch mix. Thin it down with some good salsa (and a little water, if it's still too thick) and viola, you have a fat free salsa ranch.

Servings: 6 regular salads or 4 BIG salads

Nutritional information is for salad without dressing and prepared with pinto beans and one avocado. 







Amount Per Serving
  Calories 157.4
  Total Fat 5.4 g
      Saturated Fat 0.8 g
      Polyunsaturated Fat 0.9 g
      Monounsaturated Fat 3.0 g
  Cholesterol 13.7 mg
  Sodium 93.7 mg
  Potassium 603.3 mg
  Total Carbohydrate 19.5 g
      Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
      Sugars 0.9 g
  Protein 10.3 g

  Vitamin A 49.7 %
  Vitamin B-12 1.5 %
  Vitamin B-6 19.1 %
  Vitamin C 105.0 %
  Vitamin D 0.0 %
  Vitamin E 4.0 %
  Calcium 4.2 %
  Copper 9.6 %
  Folate 37.2 %
  Iron 10.0 %
  Magnesium 11.9 %
  Manganese 27.5 %
  Niacin 20.5 %
  Pantothenic Acid     10.0 %
  Phosphorus     16.1 %
  Riboflavin 9.1 %
  Selenium 9.7 %
  Thiamin 13.8 %
  Zinc 6.6 %



No comments:

Post a Comment